Trident Systems' mission is to provide high quality fisheries research services in support of effective and efficient management of New Zealand fisheries, with the active involvement of the seafood industry and for the collective benefit of quota owners. In line with this mission, Trident Systems is the core funder of FONZ.
Trophia provides research and advice for sustainable fisheries management. Trophia initially developed FONZ as part of its research for the Ministry for Primary Industries and continues to update, maintain and upgrade this website on behalf of Trident Systems.
The Ministry for Primary Industries supports FONZ through the provision of QMS data for regular updates of fisheries summaries.
Fisheries of New Zealand uses the extensive data collected in support of the Quota Management System (QMS) to provide a graphical characterisation of New Zealand's fisheries.
Commercial fishing in New Zealand includes a diverse array of activities, from hand gathering of shellfish on coastal sandbanks to deepwater trawling on the edge of the continental shelf. Fishers, fish processors and quota owners provide detailed data on these activities.
Providing consistent summaries of these data, Fisheries of New Zealand represents an up-to-date, accessible resource of use to fisheries managers, scientists and others who require information on the patterns and changes in commercial fishing activities in New Zealand.
Fisheries of New Zealand is hierarchical, providing both an aggregate "bird's eye" view of New Zealand's fisheries and the ability to drill-down to obtain detailed summaries for specific segments of commercial fishing activities.
To get started, go to the Summaries page. For more information on how to use the site go to the About page.
9 May 2014
- All catch and effort, landings and TACC releated summaries have been updated to 30 September 2013. None of the economics related data (e.g. port prices, quota ownership) has been updated.
4 June 2013
- The layout of FONZ has been changed. Now there are four separate pages: home, summaries, about and updates. We have also made further changes to the styling of the site. This update does not change the content of any summaries.
8 April 2013
- Additional text summaries have been added for several activities (e.g offshore trawling targeting alfonsino/bluenose, tarakihi trawling off the east coast of the North Island)
15 March 2013
- All catch and effort summaries have been updated to 30 September 2012. None of the economics related data (e.g. port prices, quota ownership) has been updated.
- There have been some changes to fisheries definitions and data grooming.